This position provides an opportunity for an energetic and highly organized teacher of general music/instrumental music to teach a variety of middle school instrumental ensembles and general music classes. General music instruction includes but is not limited to basic guitar, music literacy & history, Garage Band, and composition. Instrumental Music includes 6th grade concert band, combined 7th/8th grade concert band, combined 6th – 8th grade orchestra, elective jazz band. We also have small group instrumental classroom music classes to increase students time with their instruments. Minimum of evening winter concert(s) and end of year concert(s) annually.
This position includes benefits
• Excellent instrumental musicianship
• Experienced instrumental conducting
• Experience in getting students to switch to instruments like the Bassoon, French Horn, Tuba, etc
• Proficient piano skills
• Proficient guitar skills
• Broad knowledge of musical styles, composers, music history
• Proficient in Smart Music, Garage Band, Finale, Noteflight, Google Suite and other music technologies for music instruction
• Experience supporting students for MMEA Jr. District Auditions
• Experience supporting students performing at MICCA festivals.
• Willingness to promote and sustain a culture of music in and among the school community and district
• Willingness to offer an extra-curricular jazz band (additional compensation)
Apply online for Job # 3402 at www.newton.k12.ma.us
Start date – August 26, 2019.