Job Title: Music Teacher (Part-Time)
Department: Lower School, Upper School
Reports to: Principal
Job Summary: To plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program in an elementary or secondary learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential in music. Position is Part-Time, M-F.
Job Specific Duties:
1. Teach general music classes to all Lower School (Preschool – Grade 5) students. Approximately 2 periods each day.
2. Teach music (vocal) to registered Middle School (Grades 6-8) students. Approximately 1 period each day.
3. Oversee two Lower School vocal concerts each year (Christmas and Spring). It is expected that students will be well prepared for these performances and that the performances would represent the highest in vocal training.
4. Lead and develop competitive student choirs
5. Improve overall music program in alignment with the NAfME Standards for Music Education.
6. Teach students to appreciate the role of music in praising and worshiping God in keeping with the school’s mission.
Other Opportunities Include:
1. Instrumental instruction depending on teacher skill and student demand; especially in Orchestra or Mixed Instrumental Ensemble.
2. Work with Director of Theatre Programs as Music Director for Spring Upper School musical.
3. Supervision of student clubs
1. Possess academic preparation required for the subject(s) and class level to which they are assigned.
2. Bachelor of Music or a Bachelor of Arts in Music Education or related field from an accredited college or university, at minimum. Masters in Music or Music Education preferred.
3. State certification desired but not required.
4. One year experience teaching at the secondary or higher educational level. (This may be fulfilled through a practicum.).
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
6. Ability to get along with co-workers and other school community members.
7. SSCA conducts regular background checks and employment authorizations.
8. Regularly required to sit, stand, talk, hear, see (close and distant vision required).
9. Must be able to reach with hands and arms, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices, and other office equipment.
10. Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 lbs. or more.
11. Required to move about campus regularly.
12. Must demonstrate competency with basic word processing, data processing, and internet functions, as well as all applications used in the regular functioning of the school.
13. Some evenings and weekends are required.
14. Minimal travel requirements, mostly for competitions or concerts.
15. Maintain continual affirmation SSCA faith statement and teaching positions.